Sep 26, 2013

The problem with offering freebee services

My first full website (other than my own) is launching this week. Despite a few technical bumps in the road, I am extremely happy with my design work. I did however learn something very important from this project. When it comes to professional services, never give things away for free or else the client will start taking advantage of you.

 It's a really big shame because as a small business owner I fully understand the plight of a startup company. I go into a project with the understanding that a company has a small budget and I do everything in my power to go under that budget. I even teach the client how to do the simple things themselves. So next time, they will make the updates instead of paying me to do it for them. Those that respect me as a professional, will get professional curtsies in return.

Unfortunately, I have come to the conclusion that once you do one favor, people just start to expect freebies. Even small things like taking $20 off an invoice, brought a client to ask for more than 2 days of free services. Some people just don't seem to understand that every favor that I give comes straight out of own pocket. So my new conclusion, is that unless I worked with you before and can trust you full heartily, no more freebies.

On the flip side, I do have many incredible clients that keep me believing in offering favors in the world of small business. I want to give a big shout out to two individuals who have always treated me as a professional. Glenn Rudin from Always Been Creative, Inc. and Debbie Ginsberg from Uncluttered Domain, Inc., taught me how to survive in the world of small business. Entrepreneurs like these two deserve every little bit of support that anyone can give them. Not only do they appreciate small favors, but in the end of the day if I need something in return, they will be there without question.

Small businesses survive by working together. By helping other businesses in small ways you will ultimately be helping yourself. But we all have small budgets and a limited amount of time. So if someone offers you some help, accept it graciously. Please don't make a fool of yourself and start expecting more then what is offered.

No comments:

Post a Comment